Choosing the right domain name will either haunt or help you. Just as your business name it can explain part of your unique selling proposition your domain name will be how potential or returning customers find you online. Picking the wrong domain name can be costly, but by following our advice you’ll put your business on the right track.
- Make it easy to type. Nothing is worse than extremely long domains that are hard to type. Make it short and sweet whenever you can.
- Think about SEO. Having domains that matched your main targeted keyword used to help you A LOT, but after the Google EMD (Exact Match Domain) update you don’t get nearly as much benefit as before.
- Pick a domain that can grow with your business. What you don’t want to do in the future is have to change your domain name as it is an expensive and long process.
- Use the right extension. Please, please, please use a dot-com. These are what many people are used to. If you can’t find it as a dot-com, pick something else.
- Use numbers. We have learned the hard way that using numbers in your domain name is extremely difficult to get across to your potential customers and vendors for that matter. They don’t know whether to spell out two or use 2, which has made In2itive Search not very intuitive.
- Get too specific. Some of the worst domains are the ones that are just too long. They make my hands tired just thinking about them. http://iamtheproudownerofthelongestlongestlongestdomainnameinthisworld.com/ See what I mean?
- Use your name. Be sure to pick a domain that can grow with you and is sellable in the future, think In2itive Search instead of Footer Search. If you’re a business owner, you must have at least one creative bone in your body, use it and don’t go with nickfooter.com.
Picking a domain name can be fun, however it can be difficult if you keep coming up with domains that have already been purchased. Whatever you do, don’t give up and use a dot biz, your name or get too specific. If you’re stuck or frustrated, brainstorm with friends, drink beers, or use a whiteboard to map out any and all ideas. If you’re still having issues choosing your domain name, call us @ 503.206.4988 and we’ll do our best to help!